Resource Mapping

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

THE WORST EXAMS OF MY LIFE...

I hope I never have to repeat the past six days... Have you ever heard of an "exam", where you actually still need to search through the help index of that particular computer program, because the exam paper asks you to "explore" some new technique you have never done before never mind ever heard of before??? And that after staring at a computer screen for hours on end!!! Okay, maybe I'm a bit harsh, but really, I do not think I have sworn so much in ten years as I have in the past week.

My problem is I cannot deal with something that is not in some way orderly... I have learned a lot about IDRISI I have to admit, but I protest against the way I had to gain this knowledge! An exam... for goodness sake, I think there are better ways. (here are some dictionary entries on "exam": to test someone's knowledge or skill in a particular subject OR a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge)

Can it be called an exam if one actually still needs to gain that knowledge through browsing through the help section or surf the net... and that is not because you did not try and prepare for this exam! We actually had to work through a tutorial in our own time as preparation for this so called exam... with no prior knowledge of what the hell remote sensing is in the first place. For me to understand what I am doing I need a lot more background information than what I gained from doing the tutorial...

Anyway, I have vented my anger and will move on.


Karen Marais
BCB Hons NISL student
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17
Bellville

E-mail 2657211@uwc.ac.za

Web http://brit-journal.com/karen2006bcbnisl/

2 Comments:

  • HI Karen thanks for sharing your exoerience with us i hope i don't have to go through what you went through

    By Blogger lethabo, at July 05, 2006 8:48 AM  

  • Hi.....if the world was simple we would know about a lot of things in a lot of detail. However, the world is not simple, and knowledge is increasing exponentially, that is the reason why our conventional views of exams (dredging the depts of cerebrum) are poorly aligned to the real world. This exam was designed to test your workplace ability to do various exercises, and this would mean having to look up how to do various steps. How much use is your normal 3 hour exam for the person that employs you and wants you do get work for him/her? At the end of this exam you produced some fairly good landcover maps.

    Sorry to dissapoint, but this is due for the Pretoria students as well.

    Cheers

    Rich

    By Blogger Rich Knight, at July 05, 2006 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home